What If You Don’t Have A Living Will?

What if you don’t have a living will? The State of Florida has an answer for that too. As estate planning lawyers like to say: “If you fail to plan, then the State has a plan for you, which you may not like.”

Florida Statute section 765.401 provides a list of persons who can act for you in order of priority if you are incompetent and have not executed an advance directive of if the designated surrogates are no longer available. There are eight classes of people listed starting with a judicially appointed guardian or guardian advocate. The next person in the list is a spouse, then an adult child or the majority of adult children reasonable available for consultation, and so on. The last person listed is a licensed clinical social worker.

The proxy is required to do what the patient would have done under the circumstances or, if they don’t know what the patient would have done, then they must consider the patient’s best interests. The proxy’s decision must be based on clear and convincing evidence of what the patient would have done or the patient’s best interest. The proxy must comply with Florida Statute section 765.305 which requires that a surrogate be satisfied that there is no reasonable probability that the patient will recover capacity so that he or she can exercise his or her own rights. And the surrogate must be satisfied that the patient is in an end-stage condition, persistent vegetative state, or terminal condition.

Florida Statute section 765.404 deals specifically with persons in a persistent vegetative state who have no advance directive, no evidence of what they would have wanted, and no one to act as their proxy. In such a case, a judicially appointed guardian must consult with a medical ethics committee to determine the patient’s best interests. Persons performing their duties under this section are immune from liability.

Even if your designated surrogates and alternates should become unavailable for any reason, a properly executed living will insures that your wishes are known to those who must make decisions for you when you are incapacitated and cannot do so yourself. In each case, a proxy or surrogate is charged with divining what you would have done, and a living will makes what you would have done obvious.

Copyright Notice:  All Rights Reserved Harry Thomas Hackney, P.A. 2008